Wednesday 15 March 2017

Checking for Fake Followers on Twitter

Don't Buy Fake Followers

I'm sure you've seen those 'Buy Twitter Followers' posts. Perhaps some are tempted to use them. Don't be! You would be wasting your money. The chances are these 'followers' are not real people. They will never read your tweets and never re-tweet anything. They may also send out spammy messages and suddenly disappear when Twitter realises that they are fake.
People who post these tweets are breaking Twitter's terms and conditions also and when reported - they will disappear too.
Now—if you are tempted, how are you going to pay for these? Are you going to part with your credit card data? If so say goodbye to your bank account. I wouldn't give my details to someone who is a crook!

Is it possible to get fake followers by accident? 

Certainly. Just use an 'autofollowback'. Anyone who follows you will automatically be followed back and that includes fake followers. Strangely, there are thousands of fake followers out there who look for 'I follow back' or '#followback' in user bios and follow all they find. Since they include that autofollow statement in their own bio they are blindly following each other and growing their lists that way! If you follow them and you've got that 'I follow back' statement in your bio, you can be sure that you'll become a person on their list even if you are real.

What's the harm?

If you have a high number of fake followers you are going to look foolish. "Look at me I have 20,000 followers, I must know what I'm talking about!". People may also see spammy posts and replies by the fake follower addressed to you. There are people on Twitter who offer their services promoting your tweets to fake followers. To call this dishonest would be putting it mildly.

How do I get rid of fake followers?

First you have to identify them. With a little experience you learn to spot them and avoid following them in the first place. Often you'll find:
  • They don't have a profile picture or have one of a scantily clad person.
  • The don't tweet often or retweet the same thing many times
  • Many more people follow them than they follow
  • They never respond
  • They duplicate the tweets of another account (probably also fake.)
  • Their bio tells you little about them, may be missing or be a quote.
  • They have that 'follow back' statement in their bio.
BUT
If you were not aware of this, fortunately there is software available which will help you identify and remove them. There are several of them but you should remember none are perfect. They can only give you a guide.
I use ManageFlitter - a paid solution costing $12.00 per month. They have a tool which identifies likely fake followers and will allow you to remove them and block them. How to do this is detailed at http://blog.manageflitter.com/identify-remove-fake-twitter-accounts-3-simple-steps
Once you've done this, wait a few days and check your Twitter account by entering it at https://www.twitteraudit.com/ or at http://fakers.statuspeople.com/ These are  free services which can be used to check for the percentage of fake followers. When you are following someone and are doubtful if they are real try running their Twitter name through those. If they have more than 10% fake followers, you might want to give them a miss. 

Incidentally you can use ManageFlitter to grow your twitter account but remember—don't automatically follow everyone who follows you. Check them out first.

6 comments:

  1. The credit for my successful Twitter account goes to WizUgo com. I used to spend a lot of time on Twitter and still, I was not able to get a decent amount of followers. For the first time, I used Wizugo for my Twitter account automation, and it became the savior of my sinking account. Within a few weeks, I got a lot of active followers that like and comment on my pictures and videos that I tweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WizUgo com is the only hassle-free way to take your Twitter account at new heights. For me, I have never seen such an amazing automation tool with this much potential. It does everything that it says and even more. By far the best tool one can consider for Twitter automation. Boosting Twitter account is so easy now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your website is very beautiful or Articles. I love it thank you for sharing for everyone. Buy Twitter Likes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twitter has been my companion for a long time, and I’m glad that I used Wizugo for my Twitter account marketing. WizUgo com has rendered such amazing services that no other marketing tool can provide. Wizugo boosted my followers more than 60% in just a couple of days; it took my Twitter account to another level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. This is really good. Thanks for sharing this information. Keep sharing.

    Best Sites to Buy Twitter Followers

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete